Eastward wind velocity is plotted at a variety of pressure levels. The animation goes with decreasing pressure, so increasing altitude. Things to notice:
- The jet stream behaving like an ocean wave breaking
- Disparities between the hemispheres
- There is a point directly above Chicago where the air stops trying to push people over
Damn cool project… “We are building a living record of the state of the Internet across the world documenting restrictions, attacks and blackouts using a variety of tools together with partner organizations to help journalists, governments, activists and citizens.”
Their current priority is the (dis)Connection State Map which aims to do the following:
- Measuring regional network connection states allowing monitoring of disconnection events.
- Quickly identifying disconnection events to augment the information sets required by on the ground actors and improve the quality of consequent decisions.
- Access to an historical overview of disconnection events improving the quality of behavioral pattern analysis.
I always love using maps for protest!
"On September 17th, exactly one year after the Occupation of Wall Street, the whole world will once again be watching. As part of the morning of actions, people from all walks of life are going to assemble in the streets surrounding the New York Stock Exchange in ahistoric act of nonviolent civil disobedience.We will form a peaceful sitting wall to deliver a clear message:The 99% will no longer stand for business as usual.
In building this blockade, we will — symbolically and literally — open space for the 99 Revolutions to emerge, and set the stage for theStorm Wall Streetconvergence. These actions work together, as essential parts of a greater whole.”“